DIY – Stretch Maxi Skirt
I’ve gotten some good feedback on this skirt and have been meaning to do a DIY post for quite some time. I just haven’t gotten around to formatting everything to just the way I want and in a way where you can legibly understand it. SO I’m hoping I’ve done an satisfactory job and you can understand my sketches ^_^
- Stretch Fabric – depending on the fabric width and your height about 1 to 2 metres
- Fabric Scissors
- Measuring Tape
- Pins and marking tool
- Basic Sewing Machine / Needle & Thread (this project is simple enough to do by hand but will take longer)
- The fabric used in this DIY MUST be stretchy
- If you notice, the waistband measurement is the same measurement as your waist and does not ask for extra fabric like most other patterns will, this is because the skirt is supposed to be a little smaller than your waist/hip so it will cling to your bum and not fall off.
- You can afford to have the skirt a little smaller but not larger as the skirt will simply fall off once you put it on.
- Where I’ve mentioned to use a 1″ hem is just a guide – you don’t have to be completely precise but if you are intending on having a smaller hem, take into account how the the skirt will fit you after
- The waist band need not be 3″ wide, if you prefer a smaller or larger waist band go for it, but adjust the pattern appropriately
The overall structure is basically a tube with a slit put through it
Waistband unfolded right side out : Waistband unfolded wrong side out : Waistband folded right side out
View inside the skirtSlit + Hem Detail
Also if you have any queries at all I’m happy to help out.