DIY

DIY Kimono Jacket + Hood

Recently, my housemate gave me some lovely mustard fabric… and this kimono jacket project emerged from it!

kimono jacket

Regrettably I did not document the steps that led to the finished product. This was partially due to the fact that I was very unsure about the end result mixed with the overwhelming excitement to start the project when I arrived home with the flannel lining.

I have however, documented the steps via drawings and photos I took post project for your benefit. I hope you can understand them.

Tools:

• Outer Fabric – 2 metres to 3 metres
  • Lining Fabric – 2 Metres to 3 Metres
  • Sewing Machine
  • Overlocker (optional) – I finished my se
    ams with an overlocker, but it is not necessary

#Note: Amount of fabric will depend on your measurements and desired outcome

Tutorial:

I created an extremely basic pattern based on my own measurements which means that it is quite simple for you to create your own!kimono jacket instructions

This is how I created the general jacket shape.

I then created a sash/belt and sewed it to the back of the jacket. If you happen to have a belt that would match your creation perfectly, that would be suitable as well.

I was thinking about creating another belt made of leather/faux leather so there may a proper belt tutorial coming to you soon!

LOve <3

Yin

x

23 responses to “DIY Kimono Jacket + Hood”

1. OB says:

That’s awesome. Make me one 😀

2. Jp says:

You look like a ridiculously cute evil gremlin. So really, like yourself.

Now please make another and document it.

3. So cute!! You’re one talented seamstress!

4. Bec Lewis says:

This is absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for the DIY I will definitely have to give this a try.

5. […] must-do ASAP list! <p style="text-align:right;color:#A8A8A8">Read more</p> DIY Kimono Jacket + Hood Regrettably I did not document the steps that led to the finished product. This was partially due […]

6. Noni says:

This is fantastic! I’m totally giving it a go. Is the mustard fabric a jersey material?

7. tossilago says:

This looks really cute, like a casual Jedi or a yellow Little Red Riding Hood :) I really want to make one!

8. T-Bird says:

I made this today and lined with flannel, except I used pure wool to make it a real winter cosy x Thanks for the pattern, made my day so productive! :)

• Pretty Quirky Pants says:

I’m so glad you made it! The best part is that the pattern is so basic, everything is really based on your own measurements and your own fancy of how long or loose you want the garment to be.
      xx

9. Name * says:

i dont get tht fabric 2-3 m thingy????

• Pretty Quirky Pants says:

You will need about 2 to 3 metres of any fabric depending on your own measurements. If you want a longer jacket or a bigger hood or longer sleeves, you will need more fabric.
      xx

10. […] I did the same thing in my last post with the Kimono Jacket. […]

11. […] DIY Kimono Jacket + Hood from Pretty Quirky Pants […]

12. Hi Yin,

What a cute project! I love it so much that I decided to feature it in our roundup of DIY designs with hoods! Check it out here: http://www.favecraftsblog.com/diy-hoods/

Have a great day!

13. Iva_Ana says:

With some modification it will be my perfect winter coat :) thank you very much, you are very creative…

14. Alicia says:

Could this possibly be a reversible jacket?

• Pretty Quirky Pants says:

Hi Alicia, yes it can definitely be made to be reversible!

There are a couple of way I would go about it:
      a) One way is to cut and sew two sets of jackets (lining and outer layer), then sewing them together without a trim by means of sewing the garment wrong side out first and turning it right side out after. This is a little trickier because there is a lot of turning the garment inside out and right side out again because of the sleeves.
      b) Another way is to again cut and sew two sets of jackets (lining and outer layer), then sewing them together right sides out, then adding trim to the raw edges.

If you really are interested in a reversible option, I can add it to my DIY to do list :)

• Alicia says:

It was tricky! I started working on this yesterday afternoon and didn’t finish till after 11pm. Made it all except the belt. I’ve never made anything like this before so I had to take out a lot of stitches when I realized I couldn’t turn it right side out with my sleeves sewn already. So I just folded the raw edges in and sewed then together and now it is a reversible jacket! Gonna work on making a belt for it today. Thanks for posting such a great idea!!

15. 4030lisa says:

Looks AWESOME! Love it…

16. Laminty says:

THANK YOU for posting this! It’s so simple I feel confident about taking on designing my own fabric for it. I needed to know the end result would be polished enough to satisfy my standards, even though I don’t make clothing. THIS IS THAT