DIY

DIY Half Circle Maxi Skirt + Tie Waist

I love the colour of this fabric! When I saw it I knew I was going to making something simple and flowy.

This is a simple half circle skirt with a sash attached to the waist to allow for tightening.

Tools:

• Sewing Machine
  • Pins
  • Measuring Tape
  • Jersey Fabric
  • Fabric Scisscors

Tutorial:

STRETCH CIRCLE skirt Instructions

I left the hem raw for a super flowy effect.

LOve <3

Yin

x

28 Responses to “DIY Half Circle Maxi Skirt + Tie Waist”

1. Britt says:

Hi, Thanks so much for the tutorial. i’m a little confused on the measurements? i understand how you got your numbers, just not sure where your measuring to and from? Hopefully my question makes sense?
    thanks again

• Pretty Quirky Pants says:

Um, I think I understand. lol.
      If you mean the length, like from the top curved end to the bottom curved end, its basically how long you would want your skirt to be minus the waist band. The top being where the waist band is attached. I hope that helps.

2. Mikayla says:

how long did you make the skirt?

• Pretty Quirky Pants says:

hm I don’t quite remember, i think somewhere around2 hours. Just set aside an afternoon of craft time and you should get it done :)

3. Emily says:

Great post! Definitely something I shall have a look at and make as Id love a maxi length skirt for the summer, but being 5 foot 1 it would be hard to one the right length :) Just need to hunt down some nice fabric now..

4. Michelle says:

I hate to be a stickler, but your equasion is off.

2 (pi) R = waist (FULL SKIRT)
    2 (pi) R = 2 x waist (HALF SKIRT)

So to find the radius for a half-circle skirt, you’d simply need to divide waist measurement by 3.14 (pi). Because even though you’re only making half a circle skirt, you still need that half circle to go around your entire waist. I initially tried using your equasion to calculate the radius for my 40 inch waist and ended up with 3.2 inches. I knew that wasn’t right!

• Pretty Quirky Pants says:

Oh yes, I added another (divide by two) when it should have been (multiply by two). Sorry about that.
      The equation should be:

R = waist / pi —> for a half circle skirt

The problem with my making things is I make them and then come up with the equation after. lol. Sorry about any confusions.

5. Victoria says:

What kind of fabric is it??

6. Rosie says:

About how long is the sash? Did you wrap it around once or twice?

7. memoo says:

how much fabric did you use?

• Pretty Quirky Pants says:

About 2 metres. I chose to make a half circle skirt because the width of the fabric was not wide enough for a full circle one.

8. [...] I love wearing long skirts, anytime of the year. This free pattern is from Pretty Quirky Pants. The pattern is super easy to follow and only 12 steps!  You could substitute the jersey material shown for a jewel toned suede cotton for a festive winter skirt. A batik cotton fabric would be perfect for warmer weather.  This skirt in any fabric is sure to draw lots of compliments.  You can find this pattern here: [...]

9. Rose says:

Hi, I was curious if you could send me the picture equation for this skirt pattern with the correct changes. I read the comment dialog but I didn’t know which numbers were corrections or the old ones. Sorry, i am not to savvy with sewing cloths, but I really like this one and would like to make right. Thanks =)

• Pretty Quirky Pants says:

Hi Rose, sorry for all the confusion, my math has slowly degenerated over the years of abandonment. The end result in the post is correct, where Radius=Waist/Pi
      If you are still confused because I’ve somehow stuffed up again, please let me know :)

10. Janni says:

Hi! Sorry, but I am really bad at match but like your tutorial. How do I determine my waist if my waist size is 100cm? or 40 inches.
    Thank you!

11. Elizabeth says:

I was wondering if I can use fabric other than jersey knit. I have some lightweight cotton that I would love to make a skirt out of like this.

Thanks

• Pretty Quirky Pants says:

Hi Elizabeth, you could use another type of fabric as long as the drape is soft. If the cotton you have is very soft and creates a flowy drape effect, then it would be perfect. However, if it is a little stiffer, you could still use it, but it would turn out a little poofier and will have a more retro 60s/70s look to it.

12. Darron says:

How wide did you make the sash before the fold?

13. Darron says:

Wait,is that the measurement before the fold?

14. Darron says:

Thank you again = ) Best regards.