Before & After

DIY Hair Colour

I’ve had pink hair for quite some time now, going back and forth between browns, purples, reds and pinks but have never successfully done a blue/green combination. After lifting most of the pink from my hair recently and turning it into a more ‘natural’ shade, I got bored after a couple of months and thought maybe now is the time to try it out.

I then ordered a heap of Crazy Colour semi-permanent hair dye from bellezo.com. If you are in Malaysia and wondering where to buy fun colours from, the internet is your best friend. I particularly like Bellezo as they carry a huge range of Crazy Colour hair dyes and have a shipping flat rate that turns out to be fairly reasonable if you buy a fair amount off the website. They even sell their own bleaching kit so you can get everything in one go!

I always get asked how do I colour my hair such bright colours. So I created a flow chart to help anyone else who might want to know:

Also, here is a previous post explaining the dye process in a little more detail with useful links for anyone who is interested.

But really all I wanted to say was… look at my mermaid hair! 😀

I did the whole process at home using :

• Gatsby Ex-Hi Bleach (purchased from Guardian)
  • Crazy Colour in Peacock Blue (purchased from Bellezo.com)

I would usually have done the pre-lightening at a salon, but I wanted to see what home bleaching would be like using the Gatsby bleach. Overall I’m pretty happy with the results.

*Note: if using Gatsby, you may want to repeat the process a few times (no more than once a week to avoid damaging hair 2 or 3 times) to achieve the right amount of lightness in the hair. It’s better to repeat the process than leave the bleach on your hair for too long.

I hope you found this somewhat informative!

LOve <3

Yin

xx

13 responses to “DIY Hair Colour”

1. Elisa B says:

Woooahh I’ve just posted an article about mermaid hair, and look what I find! Haha! Your hair look awesome! Did you bleach it very light before dyeing it?

• Pretty Quirky Pants says:

Thanks Elisa! :)
      I did notice that post, it’s good to get the ‘colouring your hair is super fun!’ word around.
      I already had very bleached up tips to begin with (hence the blue showed up really well). But I did lighten more of my hair further up the strands, not SUPER bleached, but definitely a few shades lighter than my natural colour. Good to know that blue dye turns green on brown hair. lol.

2. HT (midget) says:

That is freaking awesome mermaid hair. I will have to wait until I get a job that earns enough money for a salon treatment (you know how useless/messy I am with anything crafty) (and that also doesn’t have a strict dress/hair code)… and then go nuts >:D

3. Kim L. says:

Aww looking at this post makes me miss my ombre hair.

xx
    Kim
    accidental encounters

4. Aly says:

Did you have to bleach your hair to do this? I assume so. I have curly (loose ringlets) black hair, and I’m wondering if dyeing my hair blue would look weird because my skin has a lot of yellow undertones, cause I’m Asian.

• Pretty Quirky Pants says:

Yes, definitely had to bleach it. Getting it as light as possible will make the blue really stand out. I personally don’t think blue would look weird on Asian skin tones, especially if you are planning on highlights or tips. As for a full head, I would suggest a deep teal, emerald sort of colour rather than a bright blue. If you’ve never coloured your hair any bright colours before you may find any full head of colour weird, so experimenting with sections would be safe and fun. Hope that helped :)

5. Steffanie says:

WOW! Great hair!!! How many times did you bleach your hair to achieve this effect?

• Pretty Quirky Pants says:

Thanks, The ends had been bleached probably around 3 times (they were pretty much white when I did this) but the rest of my head only once.

I would definitely suggest going to the salon to get the bleach done if you have never done it yourself at home and if you have asian hair.

6. Sushi says:

OMG. I really love your post. It helped me alot. I lived in malaysia too! I have re-search about it. And your post really helped me out thanks. I’m Sorry for the broken English. Cause I can’t speak english fluently.

7. Natalie says:

Hi there. I was just wondering how long it took for the Crazy Color hair dye to reach, since you ordered it from the UK. :) Thank you!

• Pretty Quirky Pants says:

Hey sorry for the super late reply. I haven’t been blogging much since the start of the year. Kind of depends where you’re living, but it generally takes about a week around Europe and 2 weeks in South East Asia. It should never take more than a month anywhere I think.